Visit New Site
Call today for a free quote 0800 320 2022
Contact Us

Home Insulation: Frequently Asked Questions

What type of home insulation do I need?

There are many types of home insulation, and different homes have different requirements which vary depending on the amount of energy being lost and the type and age of the property.

A home insulation specialist from Fresh will visit your property to conduct an inspection and then present you with a written report showing their suggestions and the typical savings you could make. It’s free to find out what you’ll need and how much it will cost, so why not book your free inspection?

What is the Green Deal?

The Green Deal is a government scheme which aims to boost the energy efficiency of homes and small businesses. Various incentives are available, including home insulation, and funding comes via energy bill savings.

What Official Permissions and Approvals will I need?

If you are replacing or adding a wall covering, such as plaster, render or cladding, to more than 50% of a single internal or external wall, you will need to insulate it otherwise you could face a fine, and the prospect of removing the work and starting again. A Building Notice has to be submitted to the council’s Building Inspector at least one week before work commences. They will then attend your property and check that the work complies with the Building Regulations.

Further, if you live in a listed building or in a conservation area, it is possible you will need planning permission for external solid wall insulation. Fresh can help you with all planning permission applications and guarantee all works carried out are done so in compliance with the Building Regulations.

Are there any grants available to fund my home insulation project?

It may be possible to obtain a grant, or benefit from a special offer, depending on your circumstances. Contact the Energy Saving Trust advice centre on 0800 512 012 to find out more.

What savings will I make on my heating bills if I insulate my home?

Savings will vary from property to property but according to the Energy Saving Trust, as a guide, you could save around £100 with cavity wall insulation and £375 with solid wall insulation per year; £145 every year by having your loft insulated; £50 a year by insulating your floor and £25 per year with draught proofing. It all adds up and, combined with double glazed windows and solar panel installation, you could enjoy substantial overall savings.